.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Can't strike a balance

Richmonders Bryan and Kathryn Harvey, and their two children, Stella and Ruby, murdered in a quiet section of my hometown on New Years Day, deserve remembrance and justice, but also respect and dignity.

I am unsettled and obsessed to a degree I think is normal, given that the crime was not only unspeakably, incomprehensibly cruel and unfair, but close-to-home on several levels - normal, yes, but not necessarily healthy. This crime feels as though it's snapped something inside..like a home-town 9-11...do I have a right to feel that? Do I have a right to say it, here, in this space?

I feel driven to scour for any shred of information, collect, assess, speculate, chat, second-guess,pre-judge...I suspect lots of people feel the same way. Under different circumstances that might make for better blogging; but I think in this case it would be too easy to spin out into "gobmackingly vile" territory. I don't think I'll stop obsessing, but I don't have to do it here.

For today, anyway, I want to point to others who are doing the best job providing local reaction and information about the Harveys and ithe investigation of crime that has stunned our community.

Buttermilk & Molasses has what I think is probably the best round-up of local coverage, links and resources related to the case.

F.T. Rea's personal perspective and observations at Slantblog have evoked bittersweet memories of my youth and the old Richmond scene, and a sense of not only what is lost, but what remains.


Steve Huff, of course, provides the most sensitive and complete commentary and references to the "dark side", or true-crime aspects of the Harvey case.


One quick addition:

A few words from Also Also today were well-written and moving.

Comments:
thanks for the link. A truly sad thing. I wish I could go to the vigils and memorials.
 
I can only imagine the horror this family must have felt. I can't beleive that there are people out here that could do such a brutal and heartless thing like this to those two prescious babies. After seeing pictures of the girls on the news last night I couldn't even bring myself to finish my dinner. I am so damn mad about it that I can't even think straight. I only hope that justice is swift. The killers will have to answer on the other side.
 
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
bare bikini babes Helicopter display model Audio+conferencing+data+teleconferencing+web Arab women fashion models Seroquel cocaine Susie lesbian
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?