Monday, September 26, 2005
Instapundit AND Lileks ate my brain (on a cracker)
Guess I'll go do a photoshop or something.
I had a lovely big post about the space elevator all ready to publish.
I guess all I have to say about it now is when Hubby told me about the concept (that he had first read about it in an Arthur C. Clarke novel) I did laugh and laugh. And laugh some more. I not sure how he won me over to the idea that a string slung up to counterweight in space was perfectly plausible way of packing heavy objects up to orbit like jack on a beanstalk. ..it's perhaps the mesmer in him. And now I follow the idea with some interest.
I still think weather is going to be harder to deal with than advocates suggest (supposedly an equatorial location makes it LESS vulnerable to cable snaps from hurricanes), but research into cables grown from magic beans (carbon nanotubes, for a light but supremely strong cable) is moving apace.
Post B was to be about the LOST series I intended to think was silly but sucked me right in like a guy who gets too close to a jet engine. Lileks has apparently been there, watched that, and wrapped up with a short review today.
But I didn't know that. Darling husband heard me rave about the two and half episodes I'd caught during the summer, and bought me the first season DVD set on Saturday. He's watching it with me and want ANSWERS! to the polar bear question. I want to know why the the main girl wants to take a gun apart despite the fact a large ursine toothy monster who WAS going to eat her little group and spit out the bones was stopped only by virtue of that weapon. Excuse me, the GUN is scaring you?
Other than that WTF moment, the show kicks all kinds of polar bear butt.
I had a lovely big post about the space elevator all ready to publish.
I guess all I have to say about it now is when Hubby told me about the concept (that he had first read about it in an Arthur C. Clarke novel) I did laugh and laugh. And laugh some more. I not sure how he won me over to the idea that a string slung up to counterweight in space was perfectly plausible way of packing heavy objects up to orbit like jack on a beanstalk. ..it's perhaps the mesmer in him. And now I follow the idea with some interest.
I still think weather is going to be harder to deal with than advocates suggest (supposedly an equatorial location makes it LESS vulnerable to cable snaps from hurricanes), but research into cables grown from magic beans (carbon nanotubes, for a light but supremely strong cable) is moving apace.
Post B was to be about the LOST series I intended to think was silly but sucked me right in like a guy who gets too close to a jet engine. Lileks has apparently been there, watched that, and wrapped up with a short review today.
But I didn't know that. Darling husband heard me rave about the two and half episodes I'd caught during the summer, and bought me the first season DVD set on Saturday. He's watching it with me and want ANSWERS! to the polar bear question. I want to know why the the main girl wants to take a gun apart despite the fact a large ursine toothy monster who WAS going to eat her little group and spit out the bones was stopped only by virtue of that weapon. Excuse me, the GUN is scaring you?
Other than that WTF moment, the show kicks all kinds of polar bear butt.
Comments:
<< Home
Sarah, thanks for following the idea.
We don't minimize the problem of weather, but do think that with attention to detail the problems can be minimized.
By placing the anchor on the equator, the typhoon / hurricane problem is eliminated - those weather systems cannot cross the equator. The chosen location was picked because it is one of the most benign places on earth. And so on.
Which doesn't mean we'll relax and stop paying attention to the problem of course.
Thanks for caring.
Post a Comment
We don't minimize the problem of weather, but do think that with attention to detail the problems can be minimized.
By placing the anchor on the equator, the typhoon / hurricane problem is eliminated - those weather systems cannot cross the equator. The chosen location was picked because it is one of the most benign places on earth. And so on.
Which doesn't mean we'll relax and stop paying attention to the problem of course.
Thanks for caring.
<< Home
