Monday, August 23, 2004
LIE
Husband and son are back, and so is the morning routine, which is both a relief and a misery. I don't really ENJOY keeping all hours , yet I still resent having to reign in the hypothalamus and give up "timeless" mode.
I find as soon as my usual zeitgebers -external time cues and constraints- are removed, I quickly derange into a chaotic infradian regimen, staying awake without reference to the rest of the world - reading into the dawn, sleeping for one or two hours, or six, or twelve. I miss meals, and when I eat them to refuel they are at odd hours with no predicable content. It's exhilarating but probably also deadly if kept up for more than a week or so. If I'm ever bacheloretted by fate, I think its an early grave for me.
I was doing a clean sweep of my son's room, which is in transition between "little kid" and "teen" years, and contains all the books, amusements, and other paraphanalia of both.
Oi. My son is still fond of plastic tranforming fiddley-bit action figures, but he is as undisciplined at managing their parts as I am about my hours when I am left to my own devices. I spent, therefore, a good deal of time shoveling them into plastic baggies for the teen to sort upon his return...but that's the easy part. The hard part is putting away his childhood.
I cleared the shelves of all traces of childhood , pop-ups and dinosaur books, the Suess and Captain underpants collections hogging shelf space all finally cleared out.
I packed away the stuffed pokemon toys, the wooden railway set, choked on accretions of dust from behind containers of long neglected puzzles and toys put away in earlier sweeps.... I was probably choked up on the dust...
In the closet, a Snuggli baby sling box. A breast pump. Just what your average teen-aged boy wants to find in the back of the closet!!!
I thought I might have another, you know. Another baby. Never did, and now if I do it will have three heads.
I've recently turned 42, and that's really sort of the iron curtain of reproduction for most women. A generation ago I would possibly already be sporting with my grandchildren. And now I guess, that's what I've got to look forward to. That and a few imminent root canals.
So anyway, I'm back to watching the morning news with my husband. DNC sent out an OH SO SINCERE operative to F&F this am.
With big blue eyes and a straight face, she told a flat lie. She said all of Kerry's medical records were on the Kerry website, that Kerry has kept his promise, because the Kerry campaign has released "everything available."
First, all the medical records are not on the site, and second, the Washington Post can get "everything available" to it, too. Just not everything. Because Kerry won't authorize the release of his records.
The Kerry campaign has made so many "mistakes", misattributing the military and non-military service of others ( Peck, Bob Kerrey)to John Kerry, that I am unlikely to trust them as a source of complete and unredacted records without a complete audit.
I find as soon as my usual zeitgebers -external time cues and constraints- are removed, I quickly derange into a chaotic infradian regimen, staying awake without reference to the rest of the world - reading into the dawn, sleeping for one or two hours, or six, or twelve. I miss meals, and when I eat them to refuel they are at odd hours with no predicable content. It's exhilarating but probably also deadly if kept up for more than a week or so. If I'm ever bacheloretted by fate, I think its an early grave for me.
I was doing a clean sweep of my son's room, which is in transition between "little kid" and "teen" years, and contains all the books, amusements, and other paraphanalia of both.
Oi. My son is still fond of plastic tranforming fiddley-bit action figures, but he is as undisciplined at managing their parts as I am about my hours when I am left to my own devices. I spent, therefore, a good deal of time shoveling them into plastic baggies for the teen to sort upon his return...but that's the easy part. The hard part is putting away his childhood.
I cleared the shelves of all traces of childhood , pop-ups and dinosaur books, the Suess and Captain underpants collections hogging shelf space all finally cleared out.
I packed away the stuffed pokemon toys, the wooden railway set, choked on accretions of dust from behind containers of long neglected puzzles and toys put away in earlier sweeps.... I was probably choked up on the dust...
In the closet, a Snuggli baby sling box. A breast pump. Just what your average teen-aged boy wants to find in the back of the closet!!!
I thought I might have another, you know. Another baby. Never did, and now if I do it will have three heads.
I've recently turned 42, and that's really sort of the iron curtain of reproduction for most women. A generation ago I would possibly already be sporting with my grandchildren. And now I guess, that's what I've got to look forward to. That and a few imminent root canals.
So anyway, I'm back to watching the morning news with my husband. DNC sent out an OH SO SINCERE operative to F&F this am.
With big blue eyes and a straight face, she told a flat lie. She said all of Kerry's medical records were on the Kerry website, that Kerry has kept his promise, because the Kerry campaign has released "everything available."
First, all the medical records are not on the site, and second, the Washington Post can get "everything available" to it, too. Just not everything. Because Kerry won't authorize the release of his records.
The Kerry campaign has made so many "mistakes", misattributing the military and non-military service of others ( Peck, Bob Kerrey)to John Kerry, that I am unlikely to trust them as a source of complete and unredacted records without a complete audit.