Monday, August 23, 2004
Blog Convergence.
EVER since my sister gave me a copy of the "Gallery of Regrettable Food" a couple of years back, which led me to the website, which led me to the "institute of Official Cheer" goldmines , which when exhausted left me hungry enough to start reading the Bleat (blogs were heretofore an uninspiring oddity to me) and I became hooked, we've had a little joke around the house called the "Lileks Convergence Alert."
I suppose it's not so astounding that Lileks wouldeat brains
write about things my husband and I can relate to. After all, his age is roughly equidistant between that of Monsieur Merle and myself; with similar forces and concerns having shaped our sensibilities, it's natural that he would have familiar experiences and observations similar to our own. (Lilek's chief charm to me is his superior ability to articulate, in a just and amusing way, just what I would have wanted to say if I'd have thought to say it.)
Yet at times it seems as though there is an Jungian Zombie prescience afoot in his writing. Today, for example, I find a hornets nest in the playboat, narrowly missing stings because I have learned to pay attention to the Oracle.
That's just today. Synchronous obscure cultural references and/or mundane domestic events pop with some frequency into the Bleat ... it used to make me jump a little, now it's just a "Lileks convergence alert."
And with time the phrase has aquired a more general use in my house, now applied to all strange blog coincidences. I think Wired did an article on the phenom...I'll be looking for the link.
Yes the blogworld colludes. BLogs are always talking about the same things. I'm not talking about that.
I'm not talking phrases that make the rounds, or photoshop contests...
Michele has seen it happen. But then she has her own litte jungian muse. I screamed when I saw 42 coming, too, but when Michele illustrated the point, with a small graphic,
on Friday, the famous original was ripped from the walls of its museum home by Sunday
To borrow a catch phrase of an old friend of mine, "How do it know?"
It would be lame to trot out a half-hundred little odd coincidences,and also a lot of writing. I have to do laundry. But it might be fun to begin, a regular feature of
Lileks Convergance Alerts, reminding of the relationship between time and fime.
I suppose it's not so astounding that Lileks would
write about things my husband and I can relate to. After all, his age is roughly equidistant between that of Monsieur Merle and myself; with similar forces and concerns having shaped our sensibilities, it's natural that he would have familiar experiences and observations similar to our own. (Lilek's chief charm to me is his superior ability to articulate, in a just and amusing way, just what I would have wanted to say if I'd have thought to say it.)
Yet at times it seems as though there is an Jungian Zombie prescience afoot in his writing. Today, for example, I find a hornets nest in the playboat, narrowly missing stings because I have learned to pay attention to the Oracle.
That's just today. Synchronous obscure cultural references and/or mundane domestic events pop with some frequency into the Bleat ... it used to make me jump a little, now it's just a "Lileks convergence alert."
And with time the phrase has aquired a more general use in my house, now applied to all strange blog coincidences. I think Wired did an article on the phenom...I'll be looking for the link.
Yes the blogworld colludes. BLogs are always talking about the same things. I'm not talking about that.
I'm not talking phrases that make the rounds, or photoshop contests...
Michele has seen it happen. But then she has her own litte jungian muse. I screamed when I saw 42 coming, too, but when Michele illustrated the point, with a small graphic,
on Friday, the famous original was ripped from the walls of its museum home by Sunday
To borrow a catch phrase of an old friend of mine, "How do it know?"
It would be lame to trot out a half-hundred little odd coincidences,and also a lot of writing. I have to do laundry. But it might be fun to begin, a regular feature of
Lileks Convergance Alerts, reminding of the relationship between time and fime.